Post-Nominal & Fellowship Scheme
Individual membership of The Hydrographic Society UK is open to anyone with any level of expertise or interest in the many and varied facets of hydrography, civil engineering, oceanography, geophysics, marine resource management and other associated disciplines. No formal qualifications are required.
Individual Members are sub-divided into three categories - Individual, Retired and Student & New Graduate - with all receiving the same membership benefits, as specified on the Join page of this website.
In addition the Society operates Post-Nominal & Fellowship Scheme which is also open to all of these members* - although the precise entitlements and nature of the post-nominal letters offered do vary according to their category of membership.
There are no additional subscriptions associated with this scheme, other than those which already apply to the relevant membership category.
* except of serving Directors, Members of the Board and Members of the Fellowship Committee
Associate Member (AHydSoc)
All paid-up Student & New Graduate members are automatically entitled to use the Associate Member of The Hydrographic Society UK post-nominal, AHydSoc. There is no need to make a separate application.
After graduating, and subsequently progressing to full Individual membership, holders of the AHydSoc post-nominal will automatically be upgraded to MHydSoc. Following five consecutive, fully paid-up years as an Individual member they will then also be eligible for nomination for Fellowship.
All paid-up members of the Individual and Retired categories are automatically entitled to use the Member of The Hydrographic Society UK post-nominal, MHydSoc. There is no need to make a separate application.
Following five consecutive, fully paid-up years in the Individual or Retired categories all members are eligible for nomination for Fellowship.
After five consecutive, fully paid-up years in the Individual or Retired categories all members are eligible for nomination for Fellowship of The Hydrographic Society UK, FHydSoc.
For a member to be awarded FHydSoc their proposers must demonstrate that the member has made an outstanding contribution to the profession of hydrography or an associated discipline, been recognised as a pre-eminent figure within their chosen field, been responsible for a relevant significant development or concept, and/or made a sustained and exceptional contribution to the Society.
View the current List of Fellows
Nominating a Member for Fellowship
- The nominee must have been a fully paid-up Individual or Retired member for at least five consecutive years to be eligible for Fellowship and the right to use the post-nominal FHydSoc.
- Members cannot nominate themselves for Fellowship.
- Nominations must proposed and seconded by two other fully-paid up members who are personally known to the nominee and should, ideally, be made without the knowledge of the nominee.
- All nominations must be submitted using the Fellowship Nomination Form which can be downloaded below, both in a print format for postal submission and as an active form which can be completed and submitted online.
- All supporting evidence should be submitted by post to PO Box 103, Plymouth, PL4 7YP or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org - clearly stating the name of the nominee.
- The annual closing date for receipt of nominations/supporting evidence is 31st December.
All nominations will be subsequently reviewed by the Society's Fellowship Committee. The outcome of this process will be primarily determined by the information supplied on the nomination form and in any accompanying documentation e.g. a short biography, record of publications, details of contributions to research or development, details of relevant consultancy and voluntary work, etc.
Successful candidates will be announced at the Society's Annual General Meeting the following spring and in the next issue of soundings and as well as being notified in person.
|Title and description||Download|
|Post-Nominal & Fellowship Scheme|
|Fellowship Nomination Form (print version)||101 Kb|
|Fellowship Nomination Form (online version)||192 Kb|